weather dependent OpenSprinkler Garden irrigation with Netatmo weather station

Home > Forums > Featured > weather dependent OpenSprinkler Garden irrigation with Netatmo weather station

Schlagwörter: , , ,

Viewing 10 posts - 1 to 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Anonym
    Inactive

I have one to water my terraced house garden OpenSprinkler Irrigation computer installed for weather-dependent control of the Gardena irrigation system.

The OpenSprinkler is installed in the garage and supplies three irrigation zones equipped with Gardena 24V AC valves. It is integrated into my WLAN network via its integrated WLAN adapter and is supplied with power via the associated power supply unit. The valves are installed in a Gardena 2-way valve box Backyard and a 1-way valve box Frontyard. The lawn behind the house is watered with a pop-up square sprinkler and a turbine pop-up sprinkler. Different drip irrigation nozzles are used to water the plants in the beds in front of the house and the flower pots on the terrace behind the house.

Installation of OpenSprinkler in the garage

The Opensprinkler I have been running 3.1-DC since spring 2019. Before that, I had two years of experience with one OpenSprinkler OSBee collect, but did not want to miss out on the advantages of weather-controlled irrigation.

The three irrigation zones are in that OpenSprinkler Firmware program defined as "Backyard Lawn", "Backyard Flowers" and "Frontyard Flowers".

In my opinion, watering the garden depending on the weather only makes sense if there is access to reliable local weather data. In particular, the amount of precipitation can vary greatly from place to place. For this reason, I integrated my existing Netatmo weather station into the control.

As a weather-specific method for the OpenSprinkler I use the Zimmerman method. I set the base value for the humidity to 65%, all other base values ​​were retained. I think that this corresponds quite well to the average value of the humidity during the Central European gardening period and I have had good experiences with it.

In the current version V2.0.4 of the OpenSprinkler Weather Service, the weather data for the last 24 hours is used to calculate the irrigation value "% Water Level" when the Zimmerman method is selected and the Local Weather Station or Weather Underground is selected. However, this is more of an advantage compared to the classic Zimmerman method, since more current data for temperature, humidity and rainfall flow into the calculation of the irrigation value.

In recent years, payment systems have been increasingly introduced by weather service providers and cloud services and by the OpenSprinkler The team also carried out a number of updates in this regard.

In order to become a little more independent of this, I have the OpenSprinkler Weather Service installed on a Raspberry Pi along with the open source weather software WeeWx. WeeWx establishes the connection to the Netatmo weather station and also allows a graphical representation of the weather data. Also became the OpenSprinkler Firmware 2.1.9(7) recompiled by me and the periodic polling of the Weather Service reset from 6 hours to one hour. In my opinion, this is the only way to obtain current data for irrigation in the early hours of the morning. The local Raspberry Pi installation of the Weather Service also means that there are no additional costs for this OpenSprinkler team due to the increased polling frequency.

To avoid watering when it rains, a Kenko M152 rain sensor was also installed and with the OpenSprinkler Sensor input S1 connected. The IFTTT cloud service can no longer be used for rain warnings, as the guaranteed response time in the non-paid version can be up to 1 hour.
    I only use IFTTT for Google Calendar logging of the total rain amount determined by Weather Underground for the previous day and the OpenSprinkler activities used.

In recent years, the lawn, flowers and bushes have been watered every two days at 7:00 a.m. For this year, the water supply for the potted plants on the terrace is to be improved, since on hot days they obviously have to be watered more often than every two days.

The lawn is now watered every two days shortly after sunrise. The flowers and shrubs are watered daily at 18 p.m. A 00% base value of 100 minutes is specified for the lawn and a 30% base value of 100 minutes for the flowers and shrubs. Here I am still optimizing and will possibly increase the lawn watering to three days with a 15% base value of 100 minutes.

It is also important for me to check the functioning of the irrigation system when travelling. In addition to controlling the OpenSprinkler familiar with the OpenSprinkler App is also a power reset of the hard error case OpenSprinklers possible via a radio-controlled socket that can be controlled remotely using the Fritz!Box.

adminadmin
    Administrator

Now that's what I call a great description.

I have also integrated my weather station, but I am still on the Weatherunderground OpenSprinkler.

Anonym
    Inactive

Hello Franzstein,

I have this project in mind as well. Can you give me further links or sources so that I can use the netatmo weather information and rain information in OSPI can use. Also, I would probably need the current version of the OpenSprinkler for PI, but I don't know how to do it. So I am very grateful for any information.

adminadmin
    Administrator

Hello hg, Im english speaking Opensprinkler forum, in the associated guides and knowledge base articles, and in the OpenSprinkler GitHub repository is actually everything described. It's a bit of a hassle to find everything together, but unfortunately there isn't a complete description in one place. The easiest way would be to register the Netatmo Station in Weather Underground, which OpenSprinkler update firmware and then pull weather data from Weather Underground. Here are some interesting links on the subject: https://opensprinkler.com/forums/topic/error-building-firmware-from-source/ https://openthings.freshdesk.com/support/home https://github.com/opensprinkler Unfortunately, I'll be on vacation for the next three weeks, but I'm happy to help afterwards - as far as possible. Greetings Franz (passed on)

Anonym
    Inactive

Many thanks for the information, Franz. I'll try it out. For now I will only use netatmo as rain data and temperature source via Weather Underground. I'm concerned with a more precise integration of the situation in my garden, I can switch the weather data from DarkSky to WUnderground under "Options" and "Advanced". Is WeeWx still needed? I'll leave the firmware as it is (2.1.9(4)). If I also need an hourly update, I may have to do it again. I think it depends on the weather specific method chosen though. I have to try that. What are you using there (Zimmerman, ETo)?

Anonym
    Inactive

Only a moment. WeeWx is not required. Weather Underground can directly in OpenSprinkler be selected as weather service. I use the Zimmerman method. ETo cannot be used with Weather Underground.

Anonym
    Inactive

I can currently open an account with Weather underground, but adding a weather station produces an error. Without a weather station, however, I cannot apply for an API code. I keep trying.

Anonym
    Inactive

Hello, does the Netatmo data still work for you for irrigation control? I cannot register my Netatmo with WU. However, I came across an article according to which Netatmo has ended its cooperation with WU and therefore my own rain measurements and Netatmo data can no longer be used.

https://community.homey.app/t/info-netatmo-hat-die-partnerschaft-mit-weather-underground-beendet/44000

What other options are there for using the local amount of rain from your own garden to calculate the amount of water to be irrigated? The weather forecast is too imprecise in a big city. It's always raining somewhere, but not always in my garden.

Anonym
    Inactive

As described above, I have OpenSprinkler Weather Service installed on a Raspberry Pi along with the open source weather software WeeWx. However, there is also the possibility of forwarding the Netatmo data to the Weather Service "MeteoWare Plus". In this way they can then be forwarded from Meteoware Plus to Weather Underground. This should still work. Just try it!

Michael BetzMichael Betz
    Participants

Hallo,

is it now certain that netatmo has terminated the partnership with Wu?
    You can still register netatmo devices on the WU site.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 to 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.