Questions about the ports of the OSPi 1.5 (COM, +5V, GND, SN1/2)

Home > Forums > General > Questions about the ports of the OSPi 1.5 (COM, +5V, GND, SN1/2)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 to 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    NachtigallNachtigall
    Participants

Hallo,

I have a Raspberry Pi 4 and the OpenSprinkler (OSPi 1.5) purchased. There should now be 2 x 4 Rainbird solenoid valves, so a total of 8 pieces, but divided into two different valve boxes.

A few questions

* There is at OSPi twice the COM port. Should/can all 8 be connected to the same COM port, or rather 4 on one and 4 on the other - or does it just not matter?

* Got the middle 2A AC adapter. Can you also supply the Raspberry PI with it, which actually draws 2A itself or has that as an adapter. If so, how do you connect the power supply from the Raspi to the OSPi? I saw that there is a “+5V” port on the OSPi there - somehow to the mini-USB power from the Raspi?

* What are the GND and SN1/2 ports for? Should you connect GND (ground?) to the metal housing, where the grounding of the AC connection is already connected?

Best regards,

Jens

adminadmin
    Administrator

Hallo,

So:

1. 2x COM: These are both connected and are just there to make wiring easier. If you have more than 20 solenoids then you should split them across both COM ports to reduce the current load on the contacts. Otherwise you can do this, but you don't have to.

2. 2A 24VAC Adapter: Yes, this also powers the Raspberri PI. Since version 1.5 this can be up to 10W (5V x 2A). This should be sufficient for most applications. However, if you connect large consumers such as hard drives to the USB port, this will hardly be sufficient and you should also connect the Raspberri PI adapter.

3. Just don't connect the GND to the case! The two signal inputs are switched via GND+SN1 or GND and SN2. So a signal is triggered when GND is present at SN1 or SN2. VIN or +5V is intended for the connection of external sensors that require power, such as our soil moisture sensor.

We also recommend taking a look at this OpenSprinkler Firmware manual, which you can find in the download area. All connections are explained here (they are the same as in the OpenSprinkler 3.2)

NachtigallNachtigall
    Participants

Thank you.

I hadn't even seen the manuals. I've read through the FAQ and "How it works" several times (maybe these aren't even linked from these pages?!). Anyway, I'll take a look at that right away.

NachtigallNachtigall
    Participants

In the file https://opensprinklershop.de/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/os-manual_2.1.9-DE.pdf?v=3a52f3c22ed6 there is a reference to a YouTube video with a link button on page 5. However, this is not linked. Can you send me the link? (or update the document). when i search for the topic on youtube myself, i find all sorts of things and don't know what the right one is.

NachtigallNachtigall
    Participants

Hallo,

@Admin I wanted to ask again, where can I find this video? As I said, the link is (still) not correct in the PDF instructions.

Best regards,

Jens

adminadmin
    Administrator

Oh, it seems that converting the PDF deleted the link.

Here he is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0nWP22GOE4

Viewing 6 posts - 1 to 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.